10/06/2008

soviet so be it

I used to envy rodents. I would see them darting about and I would think, they don't have to be at work. They don't have a plan to write. Their lives are simple simple simple. They don't even wear clothes because they grow them all over themselves.
But lately, I have noted a shift in this thinking. I see a rodent ie. a squirrel, and I think, poor bugger. Has to work so hard for its food. Spends its whole life just securing food. I also must admit that most of my decisions must take the security of food into consideration, but I have so much predictability in my life, and if that fails I can really rely on the altruism of our species alot more than a squirrel can on that of squirrels. Of course people have a schizophrenic crisis of altruism vs. nihilism, but at least they're thinking about it. At least they're trying. So as I am growing, I am developing away from a sense that we are a curse on the planet, that we are the deathtoll of life on earth and that the animal kingdom is the ultimate ideal of serenity and honesty. Maybe not moving completely away from it, as these things are no doubt true, but I am in the process of adding a whole new layer to the whole situation, where we can, and -- if given the choice--most often do choose to try to show compassion and generosity.
Verily, this triumph of the spirit is more wonderful than rigid morals. Verily, strong morals are important, but they should come from a place that values goodness overall, even over self-discipline and especially over self-involvement (ie vegans). So, out of respect for the millions who believe it is our unavoidable destiny, or the billions more who have simply no choice in the matter, and the inspiration of several others who know who they are, I ate a bit of meat yasterday. I didn't like or dislike it and probably won't do it again for awhile, but I feel a little more in touch with reality. And isn't that the point after all? That and the security of food?

No comments: