1/19/2009

A little light

The affairs of God, be they balancing reactions, cyclical or spiral, predictable or stochastic, or all of the above, are beautiful to watch. I am tempted to believe that the patterns of the universe can be understood, but then every time you understand them completely, they deepen just enough to require more work. Like, we spend a lot of time seeking rest or respite, but we also spend all our time trying to avoid death, the ultimate rest and respite. Why are there two sides to everything? Because we are actually moving in two directions at once.
Like, when two things collide--hydrogen atoms, say--their opposite inertias cause a little extra spin, which I've heard is why planets form, and fly around the resulting stars, and spend all their time spinning--circles within circles; and so it is not surprising that everything on the planets is spinning just as furiously. It’s where we get all of our energy for life, and I would say it comes close to defining energy in slightly less general terms than ‘the ability to do work’. Now, when something spins, it is moving in infinite directions, but it always knows that for every direction, there is an equally true and simultaneous opposite direction.
So, with infinite directions to explore, but with life putting its intentional spin on things, there is some sort of pattern that Always seems to emerge. It resembles order, or at least you can infer some sort of order. In fact our lives are linked to this order so intimately that we sometimes have to squint to see the forest through the trees of our habituated environment. Immediate experience, as it is commonly called, is a self-contradicting concept--how can experience be immediate if we are talking about it right now?--as long as you treat it as a 'concept'. Of course we don't need to be talking about it and it still might find a way to conceptualize, thereby nullifying its existence. So a tendency to build order into our perception tends to prevail.
But, in the face of this, we leave a good portion of our affairs up to chance. 'These patterns simply cannot be understood, so let's all hope they have our best interests at heart.' Ironically, we throw up our hands pretty easily when something highlights that predictable monotony in a way that seems probabilistically unlikely, either by exceeding our suspension-of-disbelief-capacitors or just being too random. 'Why venture to understand the great order of things when its only measure is disorder?'
Well, so anyway, now here it is MLKing day, and we are 'changing the world', I've just learned. I can't wait. I mean, if I am doing my part, and I hope that I am, then I have to assume that everyone is pulling equal weight. And if everyone assumes this about everyone else, as I assume everyone does, at least somewhere, maybe, it might be enough to at least credit ourselves with changing the tide and spend all sorts of time wondering what would have happened if we hadn't done the things we had. Thank you, Mr. Obama, for raising once more this discourse in the human spirit. It is a healthy exercise. That, at least, is my ignorant assessment of my own control over destiny. Hard work and exercise. These are our response to entropy. Chaotic commitment to Order for its own sake, for the sake of taking sides the way blood cells fly to one side of a test tube in a centrifuge. A centrifuge. Around and around and around.
So where does this get us? Tomorrow's Tuesday and the next day is Wednesday. I live in a city and I won't someday. I need to buy a broom and get my bed off the floor. I should go figure out where my drum set is and get ready for my new job. Anyways I'm tired of K-dogg all of the similar little people similarly using their Holiday to read the New York Times in public. Hard work and exercise Hard work and exercise.

No comments: