10/18/2008

नोट एवें अ मोमेंट तो ब्लिंक

Well, I am here at the morning to midnight asian convenience in east village new york city. It is 1:2o AM and I might suggest wondering why this is the situation. Well, suffice it to say, it just is. It just is. I have tea. I have cookies. No cake. I had a long and eventful day, full of new experiences, seasons, and excitements. Unfortunately, none of it quite crossed the line into story-worthy in its transferability to other people's business. Still, here I am, with only one thing to do but reflect by way of blog, and perhaps I can weave some colorful language and hyperbole together as an exercise in literary what have you.
well that was a poor start at least/best.
here's a photo of me right now to put the place to a face and both in perspective:

Ok. Now if you notice the furrowed brow, you might assume correctly that at this hour I am physically just a little thin blown. But what you might not notice is the incredible, seasonally appropriate sweater. (I am hoping to surreptitiously turn this into a fashion/food blog, considering the hope that it might attract an audience/money.)
But anyway, the internet connection at the asian convenience tea shop assumes that I want the subject line of this posting to be written in asian, but really I don't care one way or the other.
I substituted the first day of saturday school today. I woke up late and found the subway had literally shut down for the weekend. What's the alternative, I asked of some fellow passengers. They had no idea. So I went up to the street, up to Franklin ave there where the Prospect Park shuttle drops you, and noticed a couple of folks getting into a silver crown victoria. I had heard just the night before of these 'illegal cabs' and realized there simply was nothing else for it. So the next silver crown victoria I saw pull up to the corner, toot its horn and look around for a moment, I gave a wave and hopped in. I felt like a real know-it-all. So he brought me to school, even though I was tempted to ask if he would like to stop for breakfast. I didn't barter the price because I was in a rush and I had no basis, but he was definitely leaving the door open for it when he aid, 'uhhh, 18?'
I don't know from cabs.
So I was an hour late to school. But the four students in the class didn't seem to mind. One of them was the track coach and he helped me out, suggested we take a field trip up to the third floor to find some earth science books.
Since I've never taught earth science, it was an interesting experience. basically read the first sentence of the first chapter and started talking.
Began with the shape of the earth. Why it's spheroid but not a sphere. This led to about a half hour journey from the birth of the sun to the development of latitude and longitude and maps. By now there were not four but eleven students, mostly seniors, looking at me and asking about climate change. Oh boy. Here comes the idea of building a giant straw to space and hovering it exactly at sea level, so every time the water rises a vacuum sends it off into space. And what would happen if we just had less water in our system. Would it cause a chain reaction of some sort? Would the ice form an asteroid and come crashing back to earth? This was a lively and hilarious discussion. And then we played the green glass door, and they got it wen I started telling them which ones of them could get through and which could not. It was hilarious and made me want to teach seniors.
Then I had a biology class of about 20 sophomores. That was just less fun. Several of them I, I noticed, had been at summer school. Well, you must really like biology I said. So I gave them ecology up to food webs and then had them draw food webs until the end of the day. Getting them to stop throwing things wasn't easy. What a bunch of idiots. What's the point at some point?
Well, so then I had to eat something, so I stopped at daily song studios for my half a burrito from the night before, and then went to Manhattan to see I/O, a technological eletronic music/dance theatre art performance starring KimKim and several others with their own PA systems, with which they would converse using a sort of Morse code to create sound scapes using loops and crinkling potato chip bags and movement. It was funny at times, and caused a bit of beard stroking at others. Then we went to Georgio's with Mrs. KimKim for dinners, and then to the Sound genius's apt for wine drinks and talking with the director and a couple of the cast and crew, and me. Pretty random, pretty new york. The director drove us across the bridge, which pretty much brings me back to the asian convenience sushi diner, where I have set up camp to play on my computer and drink tea.

No comments: