9/12/2008

Palin Comparison

Tell your rich friends:
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=210178
Every car of the Long Island Railroad, on which I spend about 1/8 of my time, has seats that face both directions. Divided half and half. This means that I spend on average about 1/16 of my life flying through space backwards. Flying through space backwards today, I closed my eyes for a moment. In this moment I thought I might trick myself into believing I was flying forward. It took practically no convincing whatsoever. Despite what I consciously knew, there was no perceptual input to convince me of anything besides the fact that I was moving. And since the most active neurons are the ones that perceive forward movement, it was a natural default, but a pleasantly disorienting feeling. I enjoyed this feeling until I fell asleep and woke up horribly disoriented. Even when I looked out the window for a moment I had to actively assure myself that things were indeed, as we say, flowing inward (with a slight lateral movement, owing to the fact that I was looking out the window of a train; true inflow never occurs from that perspective. [a parenthetical reference to my plan of concentration]).
So, in the sensually-deprived condition of sitting on a train car backwards with my eyes closed, the fact that sight was necessary--but nearly sufficient--for correct assessment of direction reminded me of something, but I can't remember what.
More on that later. I have to run.

No comments: