9/04/2008

the jurnee

On my way home on Tuesday I sat on the train thinking, 'Ha! I'm a teacher.'
On my may home yesterday I sat on the train thinking, 'Ha! they pay me to teach.'
And on my way home today I sat on the train thinking, 'Ha, I dress like a teacher.'
Checkmate, right? The year's locked in. It's not easy, but it works. The train comes and goes, the day happens, situations arise and then the bell rings. And somewhere in there, some high school kids learn science. What's interesting is how comforting disenchantment can be, as long as it goes hand in hand with enchantment. Hand in hand, back and forth, hither and yon.
It's actually been suspiciously easy so far, which will change, but by then I'll have rhythm, reputation and experience. So my theory is that it will remain easy as those functions neutralize each other.
Which reminds me, I gave away the universal principle of balance yesterday.
I also gave away my hidden agenda of teaching etymology instead of biology.
I also gave away my secret opinion that those two things will pretty much guarantee success.
So far so good. Now I just have to follow through. So I will make a lesson plan every day, or five every week, and the rest of the day is a whirlwind of action and reaction of the sweetest kind.
The plan, starting next Monday: a day to cap/recap thermodynamics for more overview in support of the use of universals and the existence of a universe. Then two weeks focus on inquiry: The scientific method is thinking, slowed down. Then we learn biology through that scope.
Putting in hours, building credibility, changing lives. Whatever.
On a personal note, I learned about factorials today, as well as excessive, defective and perfect numbers. Great!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Attack Shack HELL YES!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!